If the title of Balance‘s latest feature has you humming the Rick James-inspired bassline from U Can’t Touch This, then stop! Hammer Time has absolutely nothing to do with Stanley Burrell or his 1990 hit, so it’s best to approach it with fresh ears. His first Booth feature since April 2012’s Head Snap Back, this promo cut sees the Bay Area representative celebrating his rising status and tough-talking his foes in confident, conversational verses. Masked producer Zorro provides a beat worthy of a laid-back street banger, layering airy vocal samples over a leisurely rhythm section. Like what you’re hearing? You’ll be able to find Hammer Time and much more on Balance’s We All in 2 tape, dropping digitally July 1. While you wait, why not check out the artist’s guest contribution to Greenspan‘s fall-2013 single, Day at a Time?
Written by richard on 02/25/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bootleg Liquor" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.