Balance and the Traveling Sounds’ itinerant lifestyle may mean they’re never in one place for more than a few days, but they don’t stay gone for long—as the Golden State newcomers put it on their first featured cut, “I’m Comin’ Back, comin’ back for more…” A standout off the live-band crew’s latest EP, this newly-leaked cut finds producer EBO drummer Julian Hogan, saxophonist Jeff Kolhede, guitarist Ryan Kern and bass guitarist Scott Fulton coming together to deliver one of the lushest instrumental grooves I’ve heard in an long minute. Over his colleagues’ funky rhythm section, screaming guitar licks, jazzy sax accents and old-school cuts, MC Kirb rocks the mic with appropriate gusto, spitting a loosely-plotted but effective chronicle of survival in the face of long odds and numerous setbacks—from the strife and uncertainty that are part and parcel of urban poverty, to the weight of past failures. Vocalist Mike Eddie delivers the coup de grâce in the form form of a fist-pumping, never-say-die chorus. Is your interest piqued after a listen to this musically virtuosic motivational anthem? More is only a mouse-click away—released September 13, the crew’s Departure EP is available now online.
Written by richard on 10/11/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.