Balance and the Traveling Sounds’ itinerant lifestyle may mean they’re never in one place for more than a few days, but they don’t stay gone for long—as the Golden State newcomers put it on their first featured cut, “I’m Comin’ Back, comin’ back for more…” A standout off the live-band crew’s latest EP, this newly-leaked cut finds producer EBO drummer Julian Hogan, saxophonist Jeff Kolhede, guitarist Ryan Kern and bass guitarist Scott Fulton coming together to deliver one of the lushest instrumental grooves I’ve heard in an long minute. Over his colleagues’ funky rhythm section, screaming guitar licks, jazzy sax accents and old-school cuts, MC Kirb rocks the mic with appropriate gusto, spitting a loosely-plotted but effective chronicle of survival in the face of long odds and numerous setbacks—from the strife and uncertainty that are part and parcel of urban poverty, to the weight of past failures. Vocalist Mike Eddie delivers the coup de grâce in the form form of a fist-pumping, never-say-die chorus. Is your interest piqued after a listen to this musically virtuosic motivational anthem? More is only a mouse-click away—released September 13, the crew’s Departure EP is available now online.
Written by richard on 10/11/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.