Rap records that draw upon flight/altitude metaphors tend to fall into one of two categories: “I’m flying because I’m fly.” or “I’m flying because I just hit a blunt the size of Texas.” As you may have gathered from the Hendrix-referencing title, Booth newcomer Badio‘s Kiss the Sky falls squarely into the latter category. That’s not to say, however, that this is your typical weed record – it’s less a dreamy tribute to the cheeba than an object lesson in the dangers of soul-searching while high. Over Trakgirl‘s spacey string samples, the Tucson representative takes a THC-assisted look in the mirror, dropping introspective insights that range from humorously self-effacing (“I’m paranoid, like a fat kid with a popsicle.”) to the straight-up sad: (“I let my mom down too much / I hate the fact I gotta lie to her when she ask me how I’m doin’”). This blunted journey through Badio’s psyche may not be entirely uplifting but heads with a taste for blunted creativity won’t regret tagging along for the ride – if you fall into that category, you’ll want to stay tuned for details on Badio’s Winter EP, due out sometime in 2011.
Written by richard on 10/28/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.