Rap records that draw upon flight/altitude metaphors tend to fall into one of two categories: “I’m flying because I’m fly.” or “I’m flying because I just hit a blunt the size of Texas.” As you may have gathered from the Hendrix-referencing title, Booth newcomer Badio‘s Kiss the Sky falls squarely into the latter category. That’s not to say, however, that this is your typical weed record – it’s less a dreamy tribute to the cheeba than an object lesson in the dangers of soul-searching while high. Over Trakgirl‘s spacey string samples, the Tucson representative takes a THC-assisted look in the mirror, dropping introspective insights that range from humorously self-effacing (“I’m paranoid, like a fat kid with a popsicle.”) to the straight-up sad: (“I let my mom down too much / I hate the fact I gotta lie to her when she ask me how I’m doin’”). This blunted journey through Badio’s psyche may not be entirely uplifting but heads with a taste for blunted creativity won’t regret tagging along for the ride – if you fall into that category, you’ll want to stay tuned for details on Badio’s Winter EP, due out sometime in 2011.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.