Rap records that draw upon flight/altitude metaphors tend to fall into one of two categories: “I’m flying because I’m fly.” or “I’m flying because I just hit a blunt the size of Texas.” As you may have gathered from the Hendrix-referencing title, Booth newcomer Badio‘s Kiss the Sky falls squarely into the latter category. That’s not to say, however, that this is your typical weed record – it’s less a dreamy tribute to the cheeba than an object lesson in the dangers of soul-searching while high. Over Trakgirl‘s spacey string samples, the Tucson representative takes a THC-assisted look in the mirror, dropping introspective insights that range from humorously self-effacing (“I’m paranoid, like a fat kid with a popsicle.”) to the straight-up sad: (“I let my mom down too much / I hate the fact I gotta lie to her when she ask me how I’m doin’”). This blunted journey through Badio’s psyche may not be entirely uplifting but heads with a taste for blunted creativity won’t regret tagging along for the ride – if you fall into that category, you’ll want to stay tuned for details on Badio’s Winter EP, due out sometime in 2011.
Written by richard on 10/28/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.