Rap records that draw upon flight/altitude metaphors tend to fall into one of two categories: “I’m flying because I’m fly.” or “I’m flying because I just hit a blunt the size of Texas.” As you may have gathered from the Hendrix-referencing title, Booth newcomer Badio‘s Kiss the Sky falls squarely into the latter category. That’s not to say, however, that this is your typical weed record – it’s less a dreamy tribute to the cheeba than an object lesson in the dangers of soul-searching while high. Over Trakgirl‘s spacey string samples, the Tucson representative takes a THC-assisted look in the mirror, dropping introspective insights that range from humorously self-effacing (“I’m paranoid, like a fat kid with a popsicle.”) to the straight-up sad: (“I let my mom down too much / I hate the fact I gotta lie to her when she ask me how I’m doin’”). This blunted journey through Badio’s psyche may not be entirely uplifting but heads with a taste for blunted creativity won’t regret tagging along for the ride – if you fall into that category, you’ll want to stay tuned for details on Badio’s Winter EP, due out sometime in 2011.
Written by richard on 10/28/10
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.