The Dungeon Family’s been making quite a bit of noise in the Booth lately; recent months have seen reader-approved (and, in most cases, highly acclaimed) features from Big Boi, Cee-Lo Green and Killer Mike/Mike Bigga. While Backbone may not have the notoriety of his aforementioned collective-mates, hip-hop heads need only take a listen to his first feature, unreleased track I Brought It Here, to know that he has that classic Dungeon sound. Here, the bouncy, retro-informed boardwork of eccentrically-named producer Morgan the Mexican (who grabs the central sample from old-school soul singer O.V. Wright’s Ace of Spades) sets the stage for inventive bars by the headliner and Chicago-to-Atlanta transplant 4-Ize, who spit[s] game like Dick Vitale” in an exuberant middle verse. While this infectious track, as mentioned above, isn’t set for inclusion on any forthcoming project, those craving more should have no fear – you’ll get the full Backbone Experience when the artist’s new (yet-unscheduled) street album hits the ‘net, paving the way for the arrival of his latest full-length, Controlled Substances.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dubbz ft. Backbone" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.