If remixing hip-hop records were a video game, Baauer would be playing on the highest difficulty level. On his latest feature, Soulja, the EDM heavyweight chooses as his source material a Booth-panned Soulja Boy single… from 2008. Inauspicious as Bird Walk may be as a staring point, he manages to create something that’s not only listenable but pretty damn dope. The original’s minimal, self-produced beat is replaced with a stuttering, bass-heavy rhythm guaranteed to get bodies moving on the dance floor. On the back, the instrumental mutates into a dreamy, aquatic synth groove. In keeping with the video game theme, fans can download this cut, as well as Baauer’s previously-released Clang, by visiting his official site and entering the secret code “soulja” into the speak box.
Written by richard on 07/10/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.