If remixing hip-hop records were a video game, Baauer would be playing on the highest difficulty level. On his latest feature, Soulja, the EDM heavyweight chooses as his source material a Booth-panned Soulja Boy single… from 2008. Inauspicious as Bird Walk may be as a staring point, he manages to create something that’s not only listenable but pretty damn dope. The original’s minimal, self-produced beat is replaced with a stuttering, bass-heavy rhythm guaranteed to get bodies moving on the dance floor. On the back, the instrumental mutates into a dreamy, aquatic synth groove. In keeping with the video game theme, fans can download this cut, as well as Baauer’s previously-released Clang, by visiting his official site and entering the secret code “soulja” into the speak box.
Written by richard on 07/10/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.