If remixing hip-hop records were a video game, Baauer would be playing on the highest difficulty level. On his latest feature, Soulja, the EDM heavyweight chooses as his source material a Booth-panned Soulja Boy single… from 2008. Inauspicious as Bird Walk may be as a staring point, he manages to create something that’s not only listenable but pretty damn dope. The original’s minimal, self-produced beat is replaced with a stuttering, bass-heavy rhythm guaranteed to get bodies moving on the dance floor. On the back, the instrumental mutates into a dreamy, aquatic synth groove. In keeping with the video game theme, fans can download this cut, as well as Baauer’s previously-released Clang, by visiting his official site and entering the secret code “soulja” into the speak box.
Written by richard on 07/10/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 4 EP
- One Song to Prove Big Sean is a Dope Rapper (Really)
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.