If remixing hip-hop records were a video game, Baauer would be playing on the highest difficulty level. On his latest feature, Soulja, the EDM heavyweight chooses as his source material a Booth-panned Soulja Boy single… from 2008. Inauspicious as Bird Walk may be as a staring point, he manages to create something that’s not only listenable but pretty damn dope. The original’s minimal, self-produced beat is replaced with a stuttering, bass-heavy rhythm guaranteed to get bodies moving on the dance floor. On the back, the instrumental mutates into a dreamy, aquatic synth groove. In keeping with the video game theme, fans can download this cut, as well as Baauer’s previously-released Clang, by visiting his official site and entering the secret code “soulja” into the speak box.
Written by richard on 07/10/14
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)