Though it’s been nearly a decade since the Nappy Roots introduced themselves to listeners everywhere with first single Awnaw, the Southern-rap anthem still sounds just as great as it did back in 2001. A track that classic is hard to follow up but, on newly-leaked mixtape cut Awnaw, Not Again, group member Buffalo Stille rises to the occasion, delivering a sequel that should leave few unimpressed. The bluesy, piano-led sample that forms the backbone of Taylor Mayd‘s beat sets a wistful, summery mood as the emcee mixes timeless wisdom with laid-back braggadocio, assuring fans “I keep it nappy, in my country ways / still fryin’ them chickens, still stackin’ my hay.” In short, the record’s as refreshing as a tall glass of lemonade on a sweltering day. Is it a worthy successor to the group’s debut single? I think I know the answer, but I’ll let Booth readers have the final say. Greg Streets Presents Nappy University, the official prelude to the 4/20 release of the group’s The Pursuit of Nappyness LP, is set to hit the ‘net “soon.” Also, watch for the Nappy Roots to step into the Booth for an exclusive interview with DJ Z sometime in April.
Listen to More: B. Stille (of Nappy Roots)
Written by richard on 03/17/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All My Life" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.