Though it’s been nearly a decade since the Nappy Roots introduced themselves to listeners everywhere with first single Awnaw, the Southern-rap anthem still sounds just as great as it did back in 2001. A track that classic is hard to follow up but, on newly-leaked mixtape cut Awnaw, Not Again, group member Buffalo Stille rises to the occasion, delivering a sequel that should leave few unimpressed. The bluesy, piano-led sample that forms the backbone of Taylor Mayd‘s beat sets a wistful, summery mood as the emcee mixes timeless wisdom with laid-back braggadocio, assuring fans “I keep it nappy, in my country ways / still fryin’ them chickens, still stackin’ my hay.” In short, the record’s as refreshing as a tall glass of lemonade on a sweltering day. Is it a worthy successor to the group’s debut single? I think I know the answer, but I’ll let Booth readers have the final say. Greg Streets Presents Nappy University, the official prelude to the 4/20 release of the group’s The Pursuit of Nappyness LP, is set to hit the ‘net “soon.” Also, watch for the Nappy Roots to step into the Booth for an exclusive interview with DJ Z sometime in April.
Written by richard on 03/17/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All My Life" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Young Thug ft. Lil Wayne - Take Kare
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.