Though it’s been nearly a decade since the Nappy Roots introduced themselves to listeners everywhere with first single Awnaw, the Southern-rap anthem still sounds just as great as it did back in 2001. A track that classic is hard to follow up but, on newly-leaked mixtape cut Awnaw, Not Again, group member Buffalo Stille rises to the occasion, delivering a sequel that should leave few unimpressed. The bluesy, piano-led sample that forms the backbone of Taylor Mayd‘s beat sets a wistful, summery mood as the emcee mixes timeless wisdom with laid-back braggadocio, assuring fans “I keep it nappy, in my country ways / still fryin’ them chickens, still stackin’ my hay.” In short, the record’s as refreshing as a tall glass of lemonade on a sweltering day. Is it a worthy successor to the group’s debut single? I think I know the answer, but I’ll let Booth readers have the final say. Greg Streets Presents Nappy University, the official prelude to the 4/20 release of the group’s The Pursuit of Nappyness LP, is set to hit the ‘net “soon.” Also, watch for the Nappy Roots to step into the Booth for an exclusive interview with DJ Z sometime in April.
Written by richard on 03/17/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All My Life" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “Chicago vs. Everybody?”
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.