Though it’s been nearly a decade since the Nappy Roots introduced themselves to listeners everywhere with first single Awnaw, the Southern-rap anthem still sounds just as great as it did back in 2001. A track that classic is hard to follow up but, on newly-leaked mixtape cut Awnaw, Not Again, group member Buffalo Stille rises to the occasion, delivering a sequel that should leave few unimpressed. The bluesy, piano-led sample that forms the backbone of Taylor Mayd‘s beat sets a wistful, summery mood as the emcee mixes timeless wisdom with laid-back braggadocio, assuring fans “I keep it nappy, in my country ways / still fryin’ them chickens, still stackin’ my hay.” In short, the record’s as refreshing as a tall glass of lemonade on a sweltering day. Is it a worthy successor to the group’s debut single? I think I know the answer, but I’ll let Booth readers have the final say. Greg Streets Presents Nappy University, the official prelude to the 4/20 release of the group’s The Pursuit of Nappyness LP, is set to hit the ‘net “soon.” Also, watch for the Nappy Roots to step into the Booth for an exclusive interview with DJ Z sometime in April.
Written by richard on 03/17/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All My Life" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.