Hip-hop’s unofficial motto is “scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours.” Or more specifically, sing the hook on my single and I’ll rap on yours. That was (apparently) the arrangement between Carlos St. John and Azeem. After Carlos grabbed Azeem’s instantly distinctive voice for his Here We Are he returns the favor to his Jersey compatriot by throwing down a verse on Azeem’s stormy solo DJBooth debut, Hurricanes + Tornadoes. The headliner himself throws down on the production tip, quickly flipping a chopped-n-screwed vocal sample into an uptempo, rock guitar tinged beat that easily propels St. John’s emotional 16. But it’s Azeem’s vocals that truly stand out as he traverses the constantly shifting beat; he’s got one of those voices that doesn’t hit every note perfectly, and that’s exactly why it’s so compelling. Or at least I put this one on repeat; does DJBooth Nation agree or disagree? While we’re not yet sure where Hurricanes + Tornadoes will touch down, those looking for more from Azeem can simply keep it locked to the Booth for all the latest artist updates.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/10/11
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.