Hip-hop’s unofficial motto is “scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours.” Or more specifically, sing the hook on my single and I’ll rap on yours. That was (apparently) the arrangement between Carlos St. John and Azeem. After Carlos grabbed Azeem’s instantly distinctive voice for his Here We Are he returns the favor to his Jersey compatriot by throwing down a verse on Azeem’s stormy solo DJBooth debut, Hurricanes + Tornadoes. The headliner himself throws down on the production tip, quickly flipping a chopped-n-screwed vocal sample into an uptempo, rock guitar tinged beat that easily propels St. John’s emotional 16. But it’s Azeem’s vocals that truly stand out as he traverses the constantly shifting beat; he’s got one of those voices that doesn’t hit every note perfectly, and that’s exactly why it’s so compelling. Or at least I put this one on repeat; does DJBooth Nation agree or disagree? While we’re not yet sure where Hurricanes + Tornadoes will touch down, those looking for more from Azeem can simply keep it locked to the Booth for all the latest artist updates.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/10/11
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.