I never thought I’d be saying this, but… I’m kinda scared of Azealia Banks. Yung Rapunxel, single numero uno off the emcee’sInterscope debut set sees her departing from the cheeky, high-energy vibes of her previous work in favor of something considerably darker. Over Lil Internet‘s pummeling electronic grooves, Banks comes with a verse’s worth of deadpan wordplay before shifting gears to a larynx-shredding shout, the better to pummel her opponents into submission. Just in case hearing Azealia excoriate the competition like a furious drill sergeant isn’t intense enough, director Jam Sutton packs his official visuals with imagery straight out of a surrealist nightmare. Feeling the new, more intimidating Azealia Banks? Those leaning toward the affirmative should keep it locked for all the latest on Broke With Expensive Taste, scheduled to hit record stores and online retailers before the year is out.
Written by richard on 04/17/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"F*ck up the Fun" (2012)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.