I never thought I’d be saying this, but… I’m kinda scared of Azealia Banks. Yung Rapunxel, single numero uno off the emcee’sInterscope debut set sees her departing from the cheeky, high-energy vibes of her previous work in favor of something considerably darker. Over Lil Internet‘s pummeling electronic grooves, Banks comes with a verse’s worth of deadpan wordplay before shifting gears to a larynx-shredding shout, the better to pummel her opponents into submission. Just in case hearing Azealia excoriate the competition like a furious drill sergeant isn’t intense enough, director Jam Sutton packs his official visuals with imagery straight out of a surrealist nightmare. Feeling the new, more intimidating Azealia Banks? Those leaning toward the affirmative should keep it locked for all the latest on Broke With Expensive Taste, scheduled to hit record stores and online retailers before the year is out.
Written by richard on 04/17/13
Submit your Rating
Azealia Banks Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"F*ck up the Fun" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Childish Gambino - STN MTN
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 4 EP
- One Song to Prove Big Sean is a Dope Rapper (Really)
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.