Some rappers, whether because of their connections, their finances or their compatibility with the latest trends, have a relatively easy time getting on. Azad Right‘s never had any of the aforementioned advantages, and that’s fine with him; rather than resenting others for failing to give him a leg up, the Los Angeles buzzmaker prides himself on being a Self Made man. On the latest jam in his ongoing #GetRightTuesdays series, Azad takes a moment to celebrate the distance he’s covered all by his lonesome, rhyming over a Chipmunk-sampled beat by Chromebully. While the focus is on Right’s own efforts, he doesn’t discount the emotional support of the people around him. He singles out his father as a particularly positive influence on his life, spitting, “I love you Dad, without you this was impossible / I’m my father’s prodigal son, defyin’ them obstacles.” Self Made will be featured as the introductory track on Azad Right’s next full-length, For the Hopeful. Keep it locked for the latest on that unscheduled set, as well as further #GetRightTuesday highlights.
Update: We have added the Powell Robinson-directed visuals for Azad Right’s Self Made single.
Written by richard on 02/18/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.