Some rappers, whether because of their connections, their finances or their compatibility with the latest trends, have a relatively easy time getting on. Azad Right‘s never had any of the aforementioned advantages, and that’s fine with him; rather than resenting others for failing to give him a leg up, the Los Angeles buzzmaker prides himself on being a Self Made man. On the latest jam in his ongoing #GetRightTuesdays series, Azad takes a moment to celebrate the distance he’s covered all by his lonesome, rhyming over a Chipmunk-sampled beat by Chromebully. While the focus is on Right’s own efforts, he doesn’t discount the emotional support of the people around him. He singles out his father as a particularly positive influence on his life, spitting, “I love you Dad, without you this was impossible / I’m my father’s prodigal son, defyin’ them obstacles.” Self Made will be featured as the introductory track on Azad Right’s next full-length, For the Hopeful. Keep it locked for the latest on that unscheduled set, as well as further #GetRightTuesday highlights.
Update: We have added the Powell Robinson-directed visuals for Azad Right’s Self Made single.
Written by richard on 02/18/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- ScHoolboy Q ft. Nas & BJ The Chicago Kid - Studio (Remix)
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- “Google Me Bitch”: A Lyrical Album Review of Rittz’ “Next to Nothing”
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.