Back in August, when Azad Right stepped into the Booth with the reader-acclaimed lead single off his debut mixtape, the emcee left us with a solemn promise: “Whenever you need me, I’ll be there, I’ll Be Around.” A man of his word, the Los Angeles representative makes his return to our pages with Diamond in the Rough, single numero dos off the Booth-hosted set. As you may have guessed from the title, this hustle anthem finds Right positioning himself as an underdog in the game; with Professor O‘s quietly determined synth boardwork banging in the back, the emcee looks back on his past struggles, and defies his peers to follow in his footsteps “In retrospect I’m probably a victim / I made it without all the optimal conditions / I had the vision, never trippin’ over obstacles, so imitatin’ me is an impossible rendition.” Though Azad professes to be “goin’ over heads like the tip of a condom,” I have a feeling that Booth regulars will find his tenacious wit to be just their speed. Complete with a catchy chorus by Jenilee, this is just one of many bangers set for inclusion on The Time Is Right, set to hit our mixtape page Sept. 31. In addition, fans can click here to peep Right opening for West Coast mainstay Jay Rock at L.A.‘s Key Club last month.
Written by richard on 09/6/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.