Decades after his classic contribution to Illmatic, AZ‘s agile, intricate flow hasn’t lost one iota of its power. Don’t believe me? You will, after hearing the East Coast mainstay work a little Red Magic on his latest promo single. BabyPaul and Beat Fanatik man the boards on this uniquely catchy street banger, flipping a sample from The Brothers Jones’ ‘77 R&B classic, Strawberry Letter 23, as AZ reminisces over his history in the hip-hop game and busts lyrical shots at his foes (including the NYPD). Craving more? Then stay tuned; Red Magic isn’t part of a larger album, but we’ll keep you posted on the rap vet’s plans as further information emerges.
Written by richard on 06/30/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.