No, you’re not seeing double – today’s feature lineup includes not one but two tracks titled I’m ILL. Since I’m all about sowing seeds of discord, I’ll go ahead and pose the obvious question: which deserves to be called the ill-est? Ex-Firm emcee AZ‘s entry in our impromptu contest, the first street single off his forthcoming Doe or Do 2 LP, certainly has a lot going for it. MoSS, the beatsmith who recently earned reader acclaim for Obie Trice tracks I Am and On & On, takes a less chaotic but equally street-certified approach here, serving up an authoritative piano loop as the Brooklyn veteran delivers bars packed with vivid lyrical imagery (he even manages to work in a Humpty Hump reference, which is always worth a few points in my book). Northeastern mainstay Statik Selektah contributes some authentic guest cuts on the hook, working his magic on a vocal sample from Weezy‘s ‘08 smash, A Milli. Does this track out-ill Red Cafe‘s effort? I’ll leave that to you to decide. In any case, fans can find plenty more hot new material on AZ’s tenth studio album (the sequel to his ‘95 debut) when it drops in the first quarter of 2010.
Written by richard on 12/13/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Hardest ft. AZ" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.