No, you’re not seeing double – today’s feature lineup includes not one but two tracks titled I’m ILL. Since I’m all about sowing seeds of discord, I’ll go ahead and pose the obvious question: which deserves to be called the ill-est? Ex-Firm emcee AZ‘s entry in our impromptu contest, the first street single off his forthcoming Doe or Do 2 LP, certainly has a lot going for it. MoSS, the beatsmith who recently earned reader acclaim for Obie Trice tracks I Am and On & On, takes a less chaotic but equally street-certified approach here, serving up an authoritative piano loop as the Brooklyn veteran delivers bars packed with vivid lyrical imagery (he even manages to work in a Humpty Hump reference, which is always worth a few points in my book). Northeastern mainstay Statik Selektah contributes some authentic guest cuts on the hook, working his magic on a vocal sample from Weezy‘s ‘08 smash, A Milli. Does this track out-ill Red Cafe‘s effort? I’ll leave that to you to decide. In any case, fans can find plenty more hot new material on AZ’s tenth studio album (the sequel to his ‘95 debut) when it drops in the first quarter of 2010.
Listen to More: AZ Written by richard
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Hardest ft. AZ" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.