No, you’re not seeing double – today’s feature lineup includes not one but two tracks titled I’m ILL. Since I’m all about sowing seeds of discord, I’ll go ahead and pose the obvious question: which deserves to be called the ill-est? Ex-Firm emcee AZ‘s entry in our impromptu contest, the first street single off his forthcoming Doe or Do 2 LP, certainly has a lot going for it. MoSS, the beatsmith who recently earned reader acclaim for Obie Trice tracks I Am and On & On, takes a less chaotic but equally street-certified approach here, serving up an authoritative piano loop as the Brooklyn veteran delivers bars packed with vivid lyrical imagery (he even manages to work in a Humpty Hump reference, which is always worth a few points in my book). Northeastern mainstay Statik Selektah contributes some authentic guest cuts on the hook, working his magic on a vocal sample from Weezy‘s ‘08 smash, A Milli. Does this track out-ill Red Cafe‘s effort? I’ll leave that to you to decide. In any case, fans can find plenty more hot new material on AZ’s tenth studio album (the sequel to his ‘95 debut) when it drops in the first quarter of 2010.
Written by richard on 12/13/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.