At first blush, the life of a big-shot rapper seems like it would be a walk in the park. But if you really take a minute to think about it… um… nope, still seems pretty great to me. While I’m not entirely certain what kind of anguish Northeastern vet AZ is asking listeners to empathize with on his latest street single, it hardly matters – Feel My Pain is less a gripe session than a braggadocio-packed banger. Beatsmith Frank Duke stark, sample-collage production sets a gritty, retro-informed mood as the artist delivers his tightly-wound bars: “Superb penmanship, heard that my pen was sick, never impotent, wonder where my n*ggas went / Die-hard, still on-point even when I’m bent, fly cars, Louis scarves, everything is mint.” Call it venting or call it boasting, it’s hard to argue with AZ’s mic skills. Heavyweight DJ/producer Statik Selektah tops the track off with some authentic cuts, blending samples of Busta, Kanye, Jeezy and other prominent rhymesayers on the hook. Like what you’re hearing? Keep it locked for release details on AZ’s Do or Die 2 LP, set to drop “soon.”
Written by richard on 05/19/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)