At first blush, the life of a big-shot rapper seems like it would be a walk in the park. But if you really take a minute to think about it… um… nope, still seems pretty great to me. While I’m not entirely certain what kind of anguish Northeastern vet AZ is asking listeners to empathize with on his latest street single, it hardly matters – Feel My Pain is less a gripe session than a braggadocio-packed banger. Beatsmith Frank Duke stark, sample-collage production sets a gritty, retro-informed mood as the artist delivers his tightly-wound bars: “Superb penmanship, heard that my pen was sick, never impotent, wonder where my n*ggas went / Die-hard, still on-point even when I’m bent, fly cars, Louis scarves, everything is mint.” Call it venting or call it boasting, it’s hard to argue with AZ’s mic skills. Heavyweight DJ/producer Statik Selektah tops the track off with some authentic cuts, blending samples of Busta, Kanye, Jeezy and other prominent rhymesayers on the hook. Like what you’re hearing? Keep it locked for release details on AZ’s Do or Die 2 LP, set to drop “soon.”
Written by richard on 05/19/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.