Don’t let the title deceive you: The Calm, the latest single from AZ, is not exactly chill-out material. Unless you consider drug-dealing and gunplay appropriate activities for a relaxing evening – in which case, remind me never to attend any cocktail parties at your place. Anyway, this hard-nosed joint finds recent Booth interviewee Statik Selektah handling production duties, crafting a driving funk instrumental complete with an intro sampled from blues singer Keb Mo’s Rainmaker and a hook sampled from AZ’s own Problems. On the lyrical tip, the Brooklyn mainstay keeps it street, offering a litany of reasons to stay on your toes if you find yourself walking through his neighborhood after dark. The moral of this story? To quote the emcee quoting his own most famous guest appearance, “Life’s a b*tch – n*ggas die on the norm.” Fans can find The Calm, along with a few more new joints, on AZ’s heavily revamped 15th Anniversary re-release of debut studio album Doe or Die, scheduled to hit store shelves and online retailers November 23.
Written by richard on 10/26/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.