Don’t let the title deceive you: The Calm, the latest single from AZ, is not exactly chill-out material. Unless you consider drug-dealing and gunplay appropriate activities for a relaxing evening – in which case, remind me never to attend any cocktail parties at your place. Anyway, this hard-nosed joint finds recent Booth interviewee Statik Selektah handling production duties, crafting a driving funk instrumental complete with an intro sampled from blues singer Keb Mo’s Rainmaker and a hook sampled from AZ’s own Problems. On the lyrical tip, the Brooklyn mainstay keeps it street, offering a litany of reasons to stay on your toes if you find yourself walking through his neighborhood after dark. The moral of this story? To quote the emcee quoting his own most famous guest appearance, “Life’s a b*tch – n*ggas die on the norm.” Fans can find The Calm, along with a few more new joints, on AZ’s heavily revamped 15th Anniversary re-release of debut studio album Doe or Die, scheduled to hit store shelves and online retailers November 23.
Written by richard on 10/26/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.