Though many of the recent buzzmakers to emerge from the Toronto scene have earned acclaim based on a decidedly moody, left-of-center brand of R&B/pop (see, especially, The Weeknd), those who think Canada’s largest metropolis is lacking in old-school soul flavor need only look to up-and-coming crooner Ayah for evidence to the contrary. On When It Comes to You, her latest promo single and first Booth feature, the Palestinian-born singer positions herself among such revivalists as Amy Winehouse and Adele, crafting a smoky, emotionally-fraught yet ultimately cathartic meditation on the ever-popular topic of heartbreak. Producer Nick Brongers keeps things vintage on the instrumental tip; over his understated keyboard chords and plaintive brass, Ayah pours herself a glass (keeping the bottle, of course) before pouring out to a fella who walked out of her life, leaving her with only memories to keep her company. Available from online retailers as of May 30, this joint is unattached to any forthcoming project, but those digging it can keep it locked to DJBooth.net for all the latest from this rising star.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.