Though many of the recent buzzmakers to emerge from the Toronto scene have earned acclaim based on a decidedly moody, left-of-center brand of R&B/pop (see, especially, The Weeknd), those who think Canada’s largest metropolis is lacking in old-school soul flavor need only look to up-and-coming crooner Ayah for evidence to the contrary. On When It Comes to You, her latest promo single and first Booth feature, the Palestinian-born singer positions herself among such revivalists as Amy Winehouse and Adele, crafting a smoky, emotionally-fraught yet ultimately cathartic meditation on the ever-popular topic of heartbreak. Producer Nick Brongers keeps things vintage on the instrumental tip; over his understated keyboard chords and plaintive brass, Ayah pours herself a glass (keeping the bottle, of course) before pouring out to a fella who walked out of her life, leaving her with only memories to keep her company. Available from online retailers as of May 30, this joint is unattached to any forthcoming project, but those digging it can keep it locked to DJBooth.net for all the latest from this rising star.
Written by richard on 06/2/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.