Introduced to our readers earlier this month via acclaimed single When It Comes, T-dot buzzmaker Ayah is quickly becoming Notorious for her strong vocal presence and vintage sound. “But Richard,” you protest, “you can’t be notorious for doing something good. That’s just being famous.” Well, imaginary reader, you’d traditionally be right—but, since the T-dot soul songstress’ latest selection (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!) finds her flipping the pejorative into a point of pride, I figured I’d follow suit. Anyways, this bombastic cut drips with classic hip-hop flavor, from the legendary DJ Jazzy Jeff‘s brass-sampled production to Ayah’s swagger-drenched lyrical approach: “...I grab the mic, and then I rip the mic and then I hand it back, and then I drop it like I didn’t mean to, psych.” Despite the playfully aggressive tone, the singer keeps it as smooth as ever on the vocal tip, and the final result is a joint that positively screams “crossover appeal.” Digging it? Then be sure to grab a copy of Ayah and Jeff’s Back for More LP when it drops July 12, and stay tuned to DJBoothTV for behind-the-scenes video of this record’s creation.
Written by richard on 06/22/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"When It Comes To You" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “Chicago vs. Everybody?”
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.