Introduced to our readers earlier this month via acclaimed single When It Comes, T-dot buzzmaker Ayah is quickly becoming Notorious for her strong vocal presence and vintage sound. “But Richard,” you protest, “you can’t be notorious for doing something good. That’s just being famous.” Well, imaginary reader, you’d traditionally be right—but, since the T-dot soul songstress’ latest selection (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!) finds her flipping the pejorative into a point of pride, I figured I’d follow suit. Anyways, this bombastic cut drips with classic hip-hop flavor, from the legendary DJ Jazzy Jeff‘s brass-sampled production to Ayah’s swagger-drenched lyrical approach: “...I grab the mic, and then I rip the mic and then I hand it back, and then I drop it like I didn’t mean to, psych.” Despite the playfully aggressive tone, the singer keeps it as smooth as ever on the vocal tip, and the final result is a joint that positively screams “crossover appeal.” Digging it? Then be sure to grab a copy of Ayah and Jeff’s Back for More LP when it drops July 12, and stay tuned to DJBoothTV for behind-the-scenes video of this record’s creation.
Written by richard on 06/22/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"When It Comes To You" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.