Introduced to our readers earlier this month via acclaimed single When It Comes, T-dot buzzmaker Ayah is quickly becoming Notorious for her strong vocal presence and vintage sound. “But Richard,” you protest, “you can’t be notorious for doing something good. That’s just being famous.” Well, imaginary reader, you’d traditionally be right—but, since the T-dot soul songstress’ latest selection (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!) finds her flipping the pejorative into a point of pride, I figured I’d follow suit. Anyways, this bombastic cut drips with classic hip-hop flavor, from the legendary DJ Jazzy Jeff‘s brass-sampled production to Ayah’s swagger-drenched lyrical approach: “...I grab the mic, and then I rip the mic and then I hand it back, and then I drop it like I didn’t mean to, psych.” Despite the playfully aggressive tone, the singer keeps it as smooth as ever on the vocal tip, and the final result is a joint that positively screams “crossover appeal.” Digging it? Then be sure to grab a copy of Ayah and Jeff’s Back for More LP when it drops July 12, and stay tuned to DJBoothTV for behind-the-scenes video of this record’s creation.
Written by richard on 06/22/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"When It Comes To You" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)