If you’ve ever attended an Occupy march or other protest, you’re undoubtedly familiar with popular chants like, “Whose Streets? Our streets!” and, “No justice, no peace!” As an NYC native concerned with social justice, AWKWORD‘s undoubtedly shouted along with ‘em more than a few times. On his latest single, though, the emcee imagines what would go down activists stopped sloganeering and grabbed the reins of power. Backed by Dutch beat crew Delegation of Sound‘s keyboard arpeggios and synth-strings, he describes how revolutionary idealism can slide into corruption and decadence when power changes hands. By track’s end, he’s set aside political action in favor of splashing around in the pool with topless women. Is AWK’s cynicism justified? As always, I’ll let y’all be the judge. In any case, you can find Whose Streets? and many more fresh cuts on the artist’s upcoming World View (Bonus Disc), which follows his 100%-for-charity LP, available now in The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 02/27/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Doctor Doctor" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)