If you’ve ever attended an Occupy march or other protest, you’re undoubtedly familiar with popular chants like, “Whose Streets? Our streets!” and, “No justice, no peace!” As an NYC native concerned with social justice, AWKWORD‘s undoubtedly shouted along with ‘em more than a few times. On his latest single, though, the emcee imagines what would go down activists stopped sloganeering and grabbed the reins of power. Backed by Dutch beat crew Delegation of Sound‘s keyboard arpeggios and synth-strings, he describes how revolutionary idealism can slide into corruption and decadence when power changes hands. By track’s end, he’s set aside political action in favor of splashing around in the pool with topless women. Is AWK’s cynicism justified? As always, I’ll let y’all be the judge. In any case, you can find Whose Streets? and many more fresh cuts on the artist’s upcoming World View (Bonus Disc), which follows his 100%-for-charity LP, available now in The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 02/27/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Doctor Doctor" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.