If you’ve ever attended an Occupy march or other protest, you’re undoubtedly familiar with popular chants like, “Whose Streets? Our streets!” and, “No justice, no peace!” As an NYC native concerned with social justice, AWKWORD‘s undoubtedly shouted along with ‘em more than a few times. On his latest single, though, the emcee imagines what would go down activists stopped sloganeering and grabbed the reins of power. Backed by Dutch beat crew Delegation of Sound‘s keyboard arpeggios and synth-strings, he describes how revolutionary idealism can slide into corruption and decadence when power changes hands. By track’s end, he’s set aside political action in favor of splashing around in the pool with topless women. Is AWK’s cynicism justified? As always, I’ll let y’all be the judge. In any case, you can find Whose Streets? and many more fresh cuts on the artist’s upcoming World View (Bonus Disc), which follows his 100%-for-charity LP, available now in The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 02/27/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Doctor Doctor" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.