If you’ve ever attended an Occupy march or other protest, you’re undoubtedly familiar with popular chants like, “Whose Streets? Our streets!” and, “No justice, no peace!” As an NYC native concerned with social justice, AWKWORD‘s undoubtedly shouted along with ‘em more than a few times. On his latest single, though, the emcee imagines what would go down activists stopped sloganeering and grabbed the reins of power. Backed by Dutch beat crew Delegation of Sound‘s keyboard arpeggios and synth-strings, he describes how revolutionary idealism can slide into corruption and decadence when power changes hands. By track’s end, he’s set aside political action in favor of splashing around in the pool with topless women. Is AWK’s cynicism justified? As always, I’ll let y’all be the judge. In any case, you can find Whose Streets? and many more fresh cuts on the artist’s upcoming World View (Bonus Disc), which follows his 100%-for-charity LP, available now in The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 02/27/14
Last month, NYC rhymesayer AWKWORD hooked up with The DJBooth and Morgan Stanley to bring listeners his long-awaited World View LP, a globally-minded set whose sale proceeds went to Guns 4 Cameras, a 501c3 nonprofit working...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Doctor Doctor" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.