If you’ve ever attended an Occupy march or other protest, you’re undoubtedly familiar with popular chants like, “Whose Streets? Our streets!” and, “No justice, no peace!” As an NYC native concerned with social justice, AWKWORD‘s undoubtedly shouted along with ‘em more than a few times. On his latest single, though, the emcee imagines what would go down activists stopped sloganeering and grabbed the reins of power. Backed by Dutch beat crew Delegation of Sound‘s keyboard arpeggios and synth-strings, he describes how revolutionary idealism can slide into corruption and decadence when power changes hands. By track’s end, he’s set aside political action in favor of splashing around in the pool with topless women. Is AWK’s cynicism justified? As always, I’ll let y’all be the judge. In any case, you can find Whose Streets? and many more fresh cuts on the artist’s upcoming World View (Bonus Disc), which follows his 100%-for-charity LP, available now in The DJBooth.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Doctor Doctor" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.