Once upon a time, you could tune into a hip-hop station and hear music hand-selected by DJs with a personal connection to the scenes they were promoting. Today… well, let’s just say times have changed. On Radio 2.0, the latest release off DJBooth-sponsored, for-charity project World View, AWKWORD links up with a few equally zealous old-school devotees to bemoan the current state of the airwaves. Vice Souletric handles production duties, blending slow-rolling percussion, gritty string/brass loops and retro cuts as the NYC underground mainstay offers a critical perspective on the homogenous, corporate and profit-driven nature of mainstream rap. Sharing guest duties with Jewish emcee/activist Brimstone127 and Chi-town newcomer Dug Infinite, living legend KRS-One steals the show on sheer aggression, railing against a situation he describes as, “backwards like flyin’ a dog and walkin’ a bird.” It may be too late to stop the “vicious circle,” described on this cut, but look on the bright side; you can still count on The DJBooth to deliver a hand-picked, commercial-free supply of the latest and greatest tunes. Keep it locked for further details on World View, which as-yet lacks a solid drop date.
Written by richard on 01/19/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Doctor Doctor" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.