Once upon a time, you could tune into a hip-hop station and hear music hand-selected by DJs with a personal connection to the scenes they were promoting. Today… well, let’s just say times have changed. On Radio 2.0, the latest release off DJBooth-sponsored, for-charity project World View, AWKWORD links up with a few equally zealous old-school devotees to bemoan the current state of the airwaves. Vice Souletric handles production duties, blending slow-rolling percussion, gritty string/brass loops and retro cuts as the NYC underground mainstay offers a critical perspective on the homogenous, corporate and profit-driven nature of mainstream rap. Sharing guest duties with Jewish emcee/activist Brimstone127 and Chi-town newcomer Dug Infinite, living legend KRS-One steals the show on sheer aggression, railing against a situation he describes as, “backwards like flyin’ a dog and walkin’ a bird.” It may be too late to stop the “vicious circle,” described on this cut, but look on the bright side; you can still count on The DJBooth to deliver a hand-picked, commercial-free supply of the latest and greatest tunes. Keep it locked for further details on World View, which as-yet lacks a solid drop date.
Written by richard on 01/19/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Doctor Doctor" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.