Once upon a time, you could tune into a hip-hop station and hear music hand-selected by DJs with a personal connection to the scenes they were promoting. Today… well, let’s just say times have changed. On Radio 2.0, the latest release off DJBooth-sponsored, for-charity project World View, AWKWORD links up with a few equally zealous old-school devotees to bemoan the current state of the airwaves. Vice Souletric handles production duties, blending slow-rolling percussion, gritty string/brass loops and retro cuts as the NYC underground mainstay offers a critical perspective on the homogenous, corporate and profit-driven nature of mainstream rap. Sharing guest duties with Jewish emcee/activist Brimstone127 and Chi-town newcomer Dug Infinite, living legend KRS-One steals the show on sheer aggression, railing against a situation he describes as, “backwards like flyin’ a dog and walkin’ a bird.” It may be too late to stop the “vicious circle,” described on this cut, but look on the bright side; you can still count on The DJBooth to deliver a hand-picked, commercial-free supply of the latest and greatest tunes. Keep it locked for further details on World View, which as-yet lacks a solid drop date.
Written by richard on 01/19/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Doctor Doctor" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)