Once upon a time, you could tune into a hip-hop station and hear music hand-selected by DJs with a personal connection to the scenes they were promoting. Today… well, let’s just say times have changed. On Radio 2.0, the latest release off DJBooth-sponsored, for-charity project World View, AWKWORD links up with a few equally zealous old-school devotees to bemoan the current state of the airwaves. Vice Souletric handles production duties, blending slow-rolling percussion, gritty string/brass loops and retro cuts as the NYC underground mainstay offers a critical perspective on the homogenous, corporate and profit-driven nature of mainstream rap. Sharing guest duties with Jewish emcee/activist Brimstone127 and Chi-town newcomer Dug Infinite, living legend KRS-One steals the show on sheer aggression, railing against a situation he describes as, “backwards like flyin’ a dog and walkin’ a bird.” It may be too late to stop the “vicious circle,” described on this cut, but look on the bright side; you can still count on The DJBooth to deliver a hand-picked, commercial-free supply of the latest and greatest tunes. Keep it locked for further details on World View, which as-yet lacks a solid drop date.
Written by richard on 01/19/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Doctor Doctor" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.