Showing love to one’s mother is a theme that’s run heavily throughout hip-hop. From Tupac’s Dear Mama to Kanye West’s Hey Mama, nearly every rapper finds their way to jotting down at least a line or two – if not several verses or an entire song – paying tribute to the woman from which they came. AWKWORD’s Thank You (A Tribute To My Mommy) is not just your normal homage to the maternal figure in his life as it was written at her bedside while she was losing her fight with breast cancer, eventually passing on the second day of this year. The song was recorded and played for her before her passing and AWKWORD credits her as being his biggest supporter and influence. With more and more things taking up our time, taking a moment to call or see our mothers for a quick hug or “I love you” should always be on our “to-do” lists. For more from the NYC emcee keep an ear out for his upcoming World View album, dropping soon via The DJBooth.
Written by JC Poppe on 01/5/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Doctor Doctor" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.