Showing love to one’s mother is a theme that’s run heavily throughout hip-hop. From Tupac’s Dear Mama to Kanye West’s Hey Mama, nearly every rapper finds their way to jotting down at least a line or two – if not several verses or an entire song – paying tribute to the woman from which they came. AWKWORD’s Thank You (A Tribute To My Mommy) is not just your normal homage to the maternal figure in his life as it was written at her bedside while she was losing her fight with breast cancer, eventually passing on the second day of this year. The song was recorded and played for her before her passing and AWKWORD credits her as being his biggest supporter and influence. With more and more things taking up our time, taking a moment to call or see our mothers for a quick hug or “I love you” should always be on our “to-do” lists. For more from the NYC emcee keep an ear out for his upcoming World View album, dropping soon via The DJBooth.
Listen to More: AWKWORD
Written by JC Poppe on 01/5/12
Last month, NYC rhymesayer AWKWORD hooked up with The DJBooth and Morgan Stanley to bring listeners his long-awaited World View LP, a globally-minded set whose sale proceeds went to Guns 4 Cameras, a 501c3 nonprofit working...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Doctor Doctor" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.