Showing love to one’s mother is a theme that’s run heavily throughout hip-hop. From Tupac’s Dear Mama to Kanye West’s Hey Mama, nearly every rapper finds their way to jotting down at least a line or two – if not several verses or an entire song – paying tribute to the woman from which they came. AWKWORD’s Thank You (A Tribute To My Mommy) is not just your normal homage to the maternal figure in his life as it was written at her bedside while she was losing her fight with breast cancer, eventually passing on the second day of this year. The song was recorded and played for her before her passing and AWKWORD credits her as being his biggest supporter and influence. With more and more things taking up our time, taking a moment to call or see our mothers for a quick hug or “I love you” should always be on our “to-do” lists. For more from the NYC emcee keep an ear out for his upcoming World View album, dropping soon via The DJBooth.
Listen to More: AWKWORD Written by JC Poppe
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Doctor Doctor" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.