We’ve all heard that the “apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.” But what grows from those seeds once that apple’s gone rotten? For The DJBooth’s latest world premiere, we drop off Rotten Apple, an offering from fearless NY emcee AWAR. Painting a grim picture of the Big Apple’s darker side, AWAR tells of a city teeming with corruption and violence, while also proclaiming he’s on a mission to bring “that feeling back to” when New York wore the crown. Produced by Jaisu, Rotten Apple is a percussive-driven track with lingering synths, resulting in a melancholy sound that mixes with AWAR’s serious lyrics, ultimately providing us with a dopely sobering track. Those eager to take a bite from the rotten apple (figuratively speaking) can be sure to cop DJBooth, Puma and Villa‘s exclusive The Come Up mixtape, featuring more artists on the rise like AWAR, due out Tuesday, December 18. And if you like what you’re hearing, you can also download AWAR Laws of Nature album right here.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 12/17/12
Last month The DJBooth, in partnership with PUMA and Villa stores, launched a search for some of the nation's best emcees hustling to chase their hip-hop dreams. After over 1,000 submissions, we've proudly collected the best...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Iron Butterfly" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.