We’ve all heard that the “apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.” But what grows from those seeds once that apple’s gone rotten? For The DJBooth’s latest world premiere, we drop off Rotten Apple, an offering from fearless NY emcee AWAR. Painting a grim picture of the Big Apple’s darker side, AWAR tells of a city teeming with corruption and violence, while also proclaiming he’s on a mission to bring “that feeling back to” when New York wore the crown. Produced by Jaisu, Rotten Apple is a percussive-driven track with lingering synths, resulting in a melancholy sound that mixes with AWAR’s serious lyrics, ultimately providing us with a dopely sobering track. Those eager to take a bite from the rotten apple (figuratively speaking) can be sure to cop DJBooth, Puma and Villa‘s exclusive The Come Up mixtape, featuring more artists on the rise like AWAR, due out Tuesday, December 18. And if you like what you’re hearing, you can also download AWAR Laws of Nature album right here.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 12/17/12
Last month The DJBooth, in partnership with PUMA and Villa stores, launched a search for some of the nation's best emcees hustling to chase their hip-hop dreams. After over 1,000 submissions, we've proudly collected the best...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Iron Butterfly" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.