To paraphrase a song I learned in Sunday School, if you’ve got a light, you should Let It Shine. AWAR doesn’t need to be told twice—for the NYC native, flaunting what he’s got comes naturally. On the first single off his next street release, the artist shows off all of his most prized possessions, both tangible (fast whips, fat stacks of paper) and not (his flow, his impeccable pen game). A celebratory jam like this one needs an appropriately bright, shiny beat, and Vanderslice‘s work here doesn’t disappoint; though it was originally featured on the producer’s Oh My God EP, his wailing Chipmunk-soul instrumental perfectly matches the exuberant feel of the emcee’s bars. Like what you’re hearing? You can look forward to more vibrant instrumentals and deft lyricism (along with a grip of dope guest features) on AWAR and Vanderslice’s The Winning Team LP, which has yet to receive a drop date. While you wait for further details, why not take a listen to AWAR’s last feature, March’s Cutthroat Rap?
Written by richard on 04/2/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Iron Butterfly" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.