To paraphrase a song I learned in Sunday School, if you’ve got a light, you should Let It Shine. AWAR doesn’t need to be told twice—for the NYC native, flaunting what he’s got comes naturally. On the first single off his next street release, the artist shows off all of his most prized possessions, both tangible (fast whips, fat stacks of paper) and not (his flow, his impeccable pen game). A celebratory jam like this one needs an appropriately bright, shiny beat, and Vanderslice‘s work here doesn’t disappoint; though it was originally featured on the producer’s Oh My God EP, his wailing Chipmunk-soul instrumental perfectly matches the exuberant feel of the emcee’s bars. Like what you’re hearing? You can look forward to more vibrant instrumentals and deft lyricism (along with a grip of dope guest features) on AWAR and Vanderslice’s The Winning Team LP, which has yet to receive a drop date. While you wait for further details, why not take a listen to AWAR’s last feature, March’s Cutthroat Rap?
Written by richard on 04/2/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Iron Butterfly" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)