To paraphrase a song I learned in Sunday School, if you’ve got a light, you should Let It Shine. AWAR doesn’t need to be told twice—for the NYC native, flaunting what he’s got comes naturally. On the first single off his next street release, the artist shows off all of his most prized possessions, both tangible (fast whips, fat stacks of paper) and not (his flow, his impeccable pen game). A celebratory jam like this one needs an appropriately bright, shiny beat, and Vanderslice‘s work here doesn’t disappoint; though it was originally featured on the producer’s Oh My God EP, his wailing Chipmunk-soul instrumental perfectly matches the exuberant feel of the emcee’s bars. Like what you’re hearing? You can look forward to more vibrant instrumentals and deft lyricism (along with a grip of dope guest features) on AWAR and Vanderslice’s The Winning Team LP, which has yet to receive a drop date. While you wait for further details, why not take a listen to AWAR’s last feature, March’s Cutthroat Rap?
Written by richard on 04/2/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Iron Butterfly" (2011)
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.