To paraphrase a song I learned in Sunday School, if you’ve got a light, you should Let It Shine. AWAR doesn’t need to be told twice—for the NYC native, flaunting what he’s got comes naturally. On the first single off his next street release, the artist shows off all of his most prized possessions, both tangible (fast whips, fat stacks of paper) and not (his flow, his impeccable pen game). A celebratory jam like this one needs an appropriately bright, shiny beat, and Vanderslice‘s work here doesn’t disappoint; though it was originally featured on the producer’s Oh My God EP, his wailing Chipmunk-soul instrumental perfectly matches the exuberant feel of the emcee’s bars. Like what you’re hearing? You can look forward to more vibrant instrumentals and deft lyricism (along with a grip of dope guest features) on AWAR and Vanderslice’s The Winning Team LP, which has yet to receive a drop date. While you wait for further details, why not take a listen to AWAR’s last feature, March’s Cutthroat Rap?
Written by richard on 04/2/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Iron Butterfly" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.