Avriel‘s last song release, Paranormal Paradigm, found her departing from the typical R&B topics—love, sex, et cetera—to offer a cerebral, yet deeply personal critique of her media-obsessed generation. The follow-up, Failed Messiah, offers a similarly potent combo of thought-provoking lyrics, unorthodox subject matter and emotional resonance. In oblique, poetic verses, the singer/songwriter examines the thorny relationship between the educated, economically successful “talented tenth” and the larger African-American community. It’s a lot to chew on, but even the most casual listener will be able to appreciate the interplay between Avriel’s impassioned vocals and Miles Brandon‘s atmospheric synth production. This record isn’t currently attached to a larger set, but will most likely find a home on the artist’s next project, which is scheduled to drop sometime in December.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!