Ever been in a relationship that’s simply too good to be true, one so perfect that you can’t look at the person in question without your heart racing? On new single Be Cool, Booth newcomer Avriel Epps describes just such a situation, and lets us in on a strategy that helps her calm her nerves when things get a little too picture-perfect: she just pretends it’s all… well… pretend. (Pre)charged beatsmith Cook Classics mans the boards here, serving up a woozy, synth-driven instrumental in 6/8 as the L.A. singer/songwriter takes a page from my dead homie William Shakespeare’s book (“All the world’s a stage,” et cetera), reminding herself that “the moon is the lighting, his eyes are the lens and his Benz is the stage.” While I’m not sure if Epps’ trick would work for those of us who haven’t spent most of their lives as entertainers (the combination of stomach-butterflies and stage fright would probably make me throw up in abject terror), that doesn’t detract from this joint’s left-of-center catchiness. If you’re digging it, you’ll be able to hear more from Epps and Cook Classics on collaborative EP Liberation, due out in August.
Written by richard on 07/19/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Paranormal Paradigm" (2013)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)