As the weather warms up in NYC, indie R&B singer Avery Storm has been spending more time atop his apartment building. Contrary to what his new promo single’s title may suggest, though, he hasn’t been kicking with the homies; he’s been gazing into the sky, revisiting memories of his younger sister, who passed away four years ago Saturday. On Party on the Roof Top, The Klasix‘s subdued keys and midtempo production backs the Jersey native as he gives vent to the whirlwind of grief, guilt, anger and nostalgia that grips him when he reflects on her tragically early death. While the feelings it conjures up are far from pleasant, this joint’s raw honesty makes it a powerful, cathartic listen. Roof Top is not attached to a larger project, but if you’d like to hear more from Avery Storm, you can always check out his last DJBooth feature, reader-approved EP cut Easier to Breakup.
Written by richard on 03/23/14
Submit your Rating
Stupid Robot/Blast Off
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Here I Am ft. Nelly & Avery Storm" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Adrian Lau - The Departed
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- Drake - 6 God EP
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.