As a new father, when I first saw the title of Avery Storm’s new record Fathertime I thought, “Finally! Moms get tribute songs all the time (For Mama), but dads never get any love.” Unfortunately, for me, Fathertime isn’t about spending time with your father, but rather the metaphorical father of time, that force that keeps inexhaustibly pushing our lives closer to death. Fortunately, the song is yet another quality performance from Avery (see previous effort Leader of the Band). Behind the boards frequent collaborators The Heatmakerz craft a beat built around a piano line buoyed by a sharp percussion line and a roaming bass that keep the record out of ballad territory. But, as always, it’s Storm’s eminently distinctive voice that drives the track, going from smooth lulls to powerful exclamations with ease. Love him or hate him, no one else sounds like this, and for my money that makes Fathertime’s original feel more than rewind-worthy. Another song off Storm’s long-delayed delayed album Shotgun Love, another day without a release date; we promise you’ll know as soon as we do.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/19/10
Stupid Robot/Blast Off
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Here I Am ft. Nelly & Avery Storm" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.