While bumping Austin Brown’s dope, toe-tapping single City Of Angels, you’re bound to hear a not-so-slight Michael Jackson influence. The reason, however, isn’t vocal styling copycatting. The Los Angeles native is in fact a member of the Jackson family, his mom being Michael’s sister Rebbie Jackson. Like his relatives, Brown posses a certain flare, that when matched by his talented vocal performance, results in an insanely catchy, funky tunes. Brown’s high-pitched vocals are the focal point throughout City, but the production work from trio The Back Pack Kids is nothing to laugh at. The whimsical instrumental, highlighted by a dope bass line, compliment Brown’s vocals and give City Of Angels a vintage vibe that would have Michael moonwalking. City Of Angels is a standout from Brown’s Highway 85, available now for free via his website.
Written by Lucas G. on 01/28/13
Submit your Rating
South 5 Records
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.