While bumping Austin Brown’s dope, toe-tapping single City Of Angels, you’re bound to hear a not-so-slight Michael Jackson influence. The reason, however, isn’t vocal styling copycatting. The Los Angeles native is in fact a member of the Jackson family, his mom being Michael’s sister Rebbie Jackson. Like his relatives, Brown posses a certain flare, that when matched by his talented vocal performance, results in an insanely catchy, funky tunes. Brown’s high-pitched vocals are the focal point throughout City, but the production work from trio The Back Pack Kids is nothing to laugh at. The whimsical instrumental, highlighted by a dope bass line, compliment Brown’s vocals and give City Of Angels a vintage vibe that would have Michael moonwalking. City Of Angels is a standout from Brown’s Highway 85, available now for free via his website.
Written by Lucas G. on 01/28/13
Submit your Rating
South 5 Records
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.