While bumping Austin Brown’s dope, toe-tapping single City Of Angels, you’re bound to hear a not-so-slight Michael Jackson influence. The reason, however, isn’t vocal styling copycatting. The Los Angeles native is in fact a member of the Jackson family, his mom being Michael’s sister Rebbie Jackson. Like his relatives, Brown posses a certain flare, that when matched by his talented vocal performance, results in an insanely catchy, funky tunes. Brown’s high-pitched vocals are the focal point throughout City, but the production work from trio The Back Pack Kids is nothing to laugh at. The whimsical instrumental, highlighted by a dope bass line, compliment Brown’s vocals and give City Of Angels a vintage vibe that would have Michael moonwalking. City Of Angels is a standout from Brown’s Highway 85, available now for free via his website.
Written by Lucas G. on 01/28/13
Submit your Rating
South 5 Records
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.