No matter how elaborate the means you employ to keep someone by your side—from codependency, to marriage, to kidnapping—there’s no way to ensure that time and the inevitable cooling of passions won’t drive them into another’s arms. A certified expert on modern romance, August Alsina confirms what so many of us have suspected on his brand new radio single: “Love is for Suckas, that’s why I don’t trust ‘em / ‘cause when you try to cuff ‘em, you end up in trouble.” Cynical? Just a little. But beat crew Sound Mob provide the perfect spoonful of sugar to make the bitter message go down smooth, blending phase-shifted electronic burbles and glittering piano/guitar accents as the New Orleans singer schools the man whose girl he just “stole” on some harsh truths. Young Goldie/Interscope signee Lloyd backs the headliner up on verse two, soulfully shaking his head at the jilted dude’s naivete. Could this caustic, yet silky ballad be Alsina’s ticket to Hitsville? If you’re leaning towards the affirmative, it locked; Sucka isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but we in the Booth will keep you supplied with all the latest.
Written by richard on 06/27/12
Noontime UNLTD./Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"B*tches In ATL" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.