No matter how elaborate the means you employ to keep someone by your side—from codependency, to marriage, to kidnapping—there’s no way to ensure that time and the inevitable cooling of passions won’t drive them into another’s arms. A certified expert on modern romance, August Alsina confirms what so many of us have suspected on his brand new radio single: “Love is for Suckas, that’s why I don’t trust ‘em / ‘cause when you try to cuff ‘em, you end up in trouble.” Cynical? Just a little. But beat crew Sound Mob provide the perfect spoonful of sugar to make the bitter message go down smooth, blending phase-shifted electronic burbles and glittering piano/guitar accents as the New Orleans singer schools the man whose girl he just “stole” on some harsh truths. Young Goldie/Interscope signee Lloyd backs the headliner up on verse two, soulfully shaking his head at the jilted dude’s naivete. Could this caustic, yet silky ballad be Alsina’s ticket to Hitsville? If you’re leaning towards the affirmative, it locked; Sucka isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but we in the Booth will keep you supplied with all the latest.
Written by richard on 06/27/12
Noontime UNLTD./Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"B*tches In ATL" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)