No matter how elaborate the means you employ to keep someone by your side—from codependency, to marriage, to kidnapping—there’s no way to ensure that time and the inevitable cooling of passions won’t drive them into another’s arms. A certified expert on modern romance, August Alsina confirms what so many of us have suspected on his brand new radio single: “Love is for Suckas, that’s why I don’t trust ‘em / ‘cause when you try to cuff ‘em, you end up in trouble.” Cynical? Just a little. But beat crew Sound Mob provide the perfect spoonful of sugar to make the bitter message go down smooth, blending phase-shifted electronic burbles and glittering piano/guitar accents as the New Orleans singer schools the man whose girl he just “stole” on some harsh truths. Young Goldie/Interscope signee Lloyd backs the headliner up on verse two, soulfully shaking his head at the jilted dude’s naivete. Could this caustic, yet silky ballad be Alsina’s ticket to Hitsville? If you’re leaning towards the affirmative, it locked; Sucka isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but we in the Booth will keep you supplied with all the latest.
Noontime UNLTD./Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"B*tches In ATL" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.