To quote Kelly Clarkson misquoting Friedrich Nietzsche, “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.” On a classic ‘99 single, Jay-Z informed listeners that the Hard Knocks he suffered on the block only hardened his skin aqnd strengthened his will to make a better life for himself; August Alsina concurs, and on the inaugural leak off his newly-released street album, the New Orleans crooner enlists producer The Exclusives to flip that record’s famous Annie sample into a canvas for his own account of the street life. As the artist describes the struggles that forged his determination to succeed, Noontime Unltd drive the point home with visuals of Alsina in his native ‘hood. The DJ Greg Street-hosted August Alsina University: School of Hard Knocks is available online as of today. Watch for August’s new Throwback EP, hosted by Wild Wayne and mixed by DJ Hektik, to drop September 3.
Written by richard on 08/28/12
Submit your Rating
Def Jam Recordings
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"B*tches In ATL" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.