When I refer to an artist “blessing” the Booth with a new record, I’m usually being metaphorical. Not this time; August Alsina‘s new single, the second off his debut set, is quite literally a Benediction. Whereas Jeezy-assisted lead effort Make It Home addressed the R&B singer’s past struggles with poverty and street violence—including his own brother’s shooting death—this cut is a joyous celebration of the present. Backed by Eric Hudson‘s lush, organ-led grooves, he gives thanks that he made it out the hood, and asks God to forgive him for the mistakes he made along the way. While Rick Ross, unsurprisingly, leans heavier on the “riches” half of the “rags to riches” theme, his closing verse is an engaging complement to Alsina’s narrative. Fans can pre-order Testimony now in anticipation of its April 15, release via Def Jam.
Update: We have added the Payne Lindsey-directed visuals for August’s Benediction single.
Written by richard on 06/30/14
Submit your Rating
Noontime UNLTD./Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"B*tches In ATL" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Young Thug ft. Lil Wayne - Take Kare
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.