When I refer to an artist “blessing” the Booth with a new record, I’m usually being metaphorical. Not this time; August Alsina‘s new single, the second off his debut set, is quite literally a Benediction. Whereas Jeezy-assisted lead effort Make It Home addressed the R&B singer’s past struggles with poverty and street violence—including his own brother’s shooting death—this cut is a joyous celebration of the present. Backed by Eric Hudson‘s lush, organ-led grooves, he gives thanks that he made it out the hood, and asks God to forgive him for the mistakes he made along the way. While Rick Ross, unsurprisingly, leans heavier on the “riches” half of the “rags to riches” theme, his closing verse is an engaging complement to Alsina’s narrative. Fans can pre-order Testimony now in anticipation of its April 15, release via Def Jam.
Update: We have added the Payne Lindsey-directed visuals for August’s Benediction single.
Written by richard on 06/30/14
August Alsina, the New Orleans-repping singer/songwriter who has captivated listeners nationwide with his unique brand of hip hop-infused R&B, takes his career to the next level with the release of his Def Jam debut...
Noontime UNLTD./Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"B*tches In ATL" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.