When I refer to an artist “blessing” the Booth with a new record, I’m usually being metaphorical. Not this time; August Alsina‘s new single, the second off his debut set, is quite literally a Benediction. Whereas Jeezy-assisted lead effort Make It Home addressed the R&B singer’s past struggles with poverty and street violence—including his own brother’s shooting death—this cut is a joyous celebration of the present. Backed by Eric Hudson‘s lush, organ-led grooves, he gives thanks that he made it out the hood, and asks God to forgive him for the mistakes he made along the way. While Rick Ross, unsurprisingly, leans heavier on the “riches” half of the “rags to riches” theme, his closing verse is an engaging complement to Alsina’s narrative. Fans can pre-order Testimony now in anticipation of its April 15, release via Def Jam.
Update: We have added the Payne Lindsey-directed visuals for August’s Benediction single.
Written by richard on 06/30/14
Submit your Rating
Noontime UNLTD./Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"B*tches In ATL" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.