Auburn‘s come a long, long way since December ‘07, when the then-unsigned Twin Cities native stepped into the Booth with her first feature, promo cut Ewww Ewww. Now a member of J.R. Rotem‘s Beluga Heights roster, the rising R&B songstress has recently reached her biggest career milestone to date: the release of her first radio single. On La La La, Auburn vents her frustration with a clingy, insecure man – here played by pop hitmaker I.Y.A.Z., who contributes background vocals throughout the track. If you find Rotem’s arpeggiated-synth instrumental, along with Auburn’s singalong hook, a little familiar, there’s a good reason: the record is heavily inspired by German four-piece ATC’s 2000 smash, Around the World (ed: which itself was an English-language cover of Russian singer Ruki Vverh’s ‘98 track Pesenka (La La La)). The recognizable groove only makes the cut catchier, but the question remains: is La La La infectious enough, and unique enough to make waves in the clubs and at radio? I’ll let you decide. If you’re digging this upbeat track, keep it locked for the latest on Auburn’s debut studio album, which has yet to receive a title or release date.
Beluga Heights/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Ewww Ewww" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.