Auburn‘s come a long, long way since December ‘07, when the then-unsigned Twin Cities native stepped into the Booth with her first feature, promo cut Ewww Ewww. Now a member of J.R. Rotem‘s Beluga Heights roster, the rising R&B songstress has recently reached her biggest career milestone to date: the release of her first radio single. On La La La, Auburn vents her frustration with a clingy, insecure man – here played by pop hitmaker I.Y.A.Z., who contributes background vocals throughout the track. If you find Rotem’s arpeggiated-synth instrumental, along with Auburn’s singalong hook, a little familiar, there’s a good reason: the record is heavily inspired by German four-piece ATC’s 2000 smash, Around the World (ed: which itself was an English-language cover of Russian singer Ruki Vverh’s ‘98 track Pesenka (La La La)). The recognizable groove only makes the cut catchier, but the question remains: is La La La infectious enough, and unique enough to make waves in the clubs and at radio? I’ll let you decide. If you’re digging this upbeat track, keep it locked for the latest on Auburn’s debut studio album, which has yet to receive a title or release date.
Written by richard on 05/17/10
Submit your Rating
Beluga Heights/Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Ewww Ewww" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.