This past Saturday, also known as Record Store Day, music-lovers across the globe came together to celebrate the tenacious businesses that stand between online retailers (plus a few big boxes) and total industry domination. Minne-ap indie stalwarts Rhymesayers Entertainment is celebrating the yearly event in style (if fashionably late) with the impending release of a limited-edition picture disc featuring tracks from variety of local and national alt-rap mainstays. As a sample of the dopeness in store, we present Which Way Is Up, a standout track which finds Twin Cities duo Atmosphere colliding with left-of-center lyrical messiah Aesop Rock. Ant handles production, blending minimal synths and percussion with a repeated vocal sample to claustrophobic effect as crewmate Slug fires off volleys of oblique lyrical aggression. On the back, Rock brings his usual abstruse brand of fire, dropping bars that’ll send even the most knowledgeable heads scurrying to Wikipedia (I had to refresh my memory on “Tartarus”). Digging it? Then don’t miss the chance to get your hands on one of just 1,000 copies of the exclusive vinyl release, coming soon to FifthElementOnline.com.
Written by richard on 04/20/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Snake Oil" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.