This past Saturday, also known as Record Store Day, music-lovers across the globe came together to celebrate the tenacious businesses that stand between online retailers (plus a few big boxes) and total industry domination. Minne-ap indie stalwarts Rhymesayers Entertainment is celebrating the yearly event in style (if fashionably late) with the impending release of a limited-edition picture disc featuring tracks from variety of local and national alt-rap mainstays. As a sample of the dopeness in store, we present Which Way Is Up, a standout track which finds Twin Cities duo Atmosphere colliding with left-of-center lyrical messiah Aesop Rock. Ant handles production, blending minimal synths and percussion with a repeated vocal sample to claustrophobic effect as crewmate Slug fires off volleys of oblique lyrical aggression. On the back, Rock brings his usual abstruse brand of fire, dropping bars that’ll send even the most knowledgeable heads scurrying to Wikipedia (I had to refresh my memory on “Tartarus”). Digging it? Then don’t miss the chance to get your hands on one of just 1,000 copies of the exclusive vinyl release, coming soon to FifthElementOnline.com.
Written by richard on 04/20/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Snake Oil" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.