The newest leak from underground producer/emcee Astronote is so far off the beaten path, you need a passport to get where it’s at. Fittingly, its creator hails from the foreign streets of Paris, France. Now, usually I try to state what the general theme of the song is (braggadocio, motivation, sex, etc.)—but I’m at a loss with this one. What does Big Trouble Little China mean? Where did producer Astronote get that sample from? Why is emcee Majestic Legend obsessed with acronyms? Frankly, I don’t know. What I do know is the Frenchman brought it on the production side of the things. Using a gritty oriental-sounding sample and other extraneous sounds, Astro creates a lo-fi wonderland driven by a dirty, stomping drum pattern. And although I confessed to being oblivious to what the emcees were talking about, they flow like seasoned vets. Maybe it’s best we just don’t understand. For more international dopeness, be sure to grab Astronote’s upcoming free album, Weapons of the Future, dropping May 31.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.