ASTR may not be licensed medical professionals, but you won’t regret letting the Big Apple alt-pop duo Operate on your auditory system. (We in The DJBooth, of course, disclaim all liability for any harm that may occur during the procedure.) The group’s debut single, the lead effort off a forthcoming EP, finds them, “channeling the nostalgic drama of Miami Vice and classic horror film scores.” Unusual as that conjunction of influences may sound in theory, the execution is undeniably ear-pleasing; though bold melodies and glossy, ‘80s-informed synths (the latter courtesy of crew member and producer DJ 88m) dominate the group’s aural palette, those elements are filtered through a moody, cinematic aesthetic that makes the end product more compelling than your average R&B jam. Interest piqued? Then keep it locked; the project to which this cut is attached as let lacks both a title and a drop date, but we’ll keep you supplied with further tunes and release details as they emerge.
Written by richard on 05/10/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.