Introduced to the Booth via last May’s reader-approved Operate, NYC electronic duo ASTR makes its long-awaited return to our pages with new single Blue Hawaii. While the record borrows its title from a 1961 film starring Elvis Presley, there’s nothing retro about its sound. Crew member DJ 88m‘s neon-tinted synth stutters and chopped vocal snippets set the stage for carefree verses delivered through a thick layer of reverb. Topped off with an addictive, instantly-memorable hook (“Everybody, everybody…”), this cut is sure to please Boothgoers with a taste for left-of-center synth-pop. If you’re feeling it, more is just a few clicks away: released earlier this month, ASTR‘s Varsity EP is available now for purchase on iTunes.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- King Mez - Long Live the King
- Freeway x Girl Talk - Broken Ankles EP
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.