While most people diligently try to keep their personal, professional and social lives separate, the distinction tends to disintegrate when sh*t hits the fan in one of the aforementioned arenas; just ask Ashton Travis, whose Booth debut, mixtape standout Lookin’ out the Window, finds the rapper/singer/songwriter struggling to keep his focus in the wake of a nasty breakup: “When I’m standing on the stage and all I see is eyes, I think about her name and all I see is lies.” Gym Krow, producer of K. Sparks’ Kickin Rhymes, works his magic behind the boards, cooking up a lush, vintage-soul arrangement that—along with Travis’ prodigious vocal chops—could fool the unwary listener into thinking this is a straight-up R&B song. When he does get around to rapping, however, his laid-back and conversational flows prove no less smooth that his singing. Lending a hand on the guest tip are not one but two guest vocalists: Ashley Joy Scretchen lends her pipes to the intro, while Talibah Safiyah assists on the chorus. Digging it? Plenty more breezy freshness awaits on Ashton Travis’ Good Vibes mixtape, released in May.
Written by richard on 06/2/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.