While most people diligently try to keep their personal, professional and social lives separate, the distinction tends to disintegrate when sh*t hits the fan in one of the aforementioned arenas; just ask Ashton Travis, whose Booth debut, mixtape standout Lookin’ out the Window, finds the rapper/singer/songwriter struggling to keep his focus in the wake of a nasty breakup: “When I’m standing on the stage and all I see is eyes, I think about her name and all I see is lies.” Gym Krow, producer of K. Sparks’ Kickin Rhymes, works his magic behind the boards, cooking up a lush, vintage-soul arrangement that—along with Travis’ prodigious vocal chops—could fool the unwary listener into thinking this is a straight-up R&B song. When he does get around to rapping, however, his laid-back and conversational flows prove no less smooth that his singing. Lending a hand on the guest tip are not one but two guest vocalists: Ashley Joy Scretchen lends her pipes to the intro, while Talibah Safiyah assists on the chorus. Digging it? Plenty more breezy freshness awaits on Ashton Travis’ Good Vibes mixtape, released in May.
Written by richard on 06/2/11
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.