While most people diligently try to keep their personal, professional and social lives separate, the distinction tends to disintegrate when sh*t hits the fan in one of the aforementioned arenas; just ask Ashton Travis, whose Booth debut, mixtape standout Lookin’ out the Window, finds the rapper/singer/songwriter struggling to keep his focus in the wake of a nasty breakup: “When I’m standing on the stage and all I see is eyes, I think about her name and all I see is lies.” Gym Krow, producer of K. Sparks’ Kickin Rhymes, works his magic behind the boards, cooking up a lush, vintage-soul arrangement that—along with Travis’ prodigious vocal chops—could fool the unwary listener into thinking this is a straight-up R&B song. When he does get around to rapping, however, his laid-back and conversational flows prove no less smooth that his singing. Lending a hand on the guest tip are not one but two guest vocalists: Ashley Joy Scretchen lends her pipes to the intro, while Talibah Safiyah assists on the chorus. Digging it? Plenty more breezy freshness awaits on Ashton Travis’ Good Vibes mixtape, released in May.
Written by richard on 06/2/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.