While most people diligently try to keep their personal, professional and social lives separate, the distinction tends to disintegrate when sh*t hits the fan in one of the aforementioned arenas; just ask Ashton Travis, whose Booth debut, mixtape standout Lookin’ out the Window, finds the rapper/singer/songwriter struggling to keep his focus in the wake of a nasty breakup: “When I’m standing on the stage and all I see is eyes, I think about her name and all I see is lies.” Gym Krow, producer of K. Sparks’ Kickin Rhymes, works his magic behind the boards, cooking up a lush, vintage-soul arrangement that—along with Travis’ prodigious vocal chops—could fool the unwary listener into thinking this is a straight-up R&B song. When he does get around to rapping, however, his laid-back and conversational flows prove no less smooth that his singing. Lending a hand on the guest tip are not one but two guest vocalists: Ashley Joy Scretchen lends her pipes to the intro, while Talibah Safiyah assists on the chorus. Digging it? Plenty more breezy freshness awaits on Ashton Travis’ Good Vibes mixtape, released in May.
Written by richard on 06/2/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)