As Asher Roth has grown from his college-loving origins and come into his own as a lyricist, he’s become less palatable to the Top 40 crowd, but a little mainstream cachet is a small price to pay to get into hip-hop heaven. On Pop Radio x Pearly Gates, a two-for-one freestyle off his next mixtape, the Keystone State rhymesayer once again reminds us that his mic skills are not to be underestimated, delivering pop-referential lyrical flames over a pair of dope instrumentals. YMNO provides original production to accompany the free-associative front half, pairing a lightly funky guitar loop with a mid-tempo breakbeat. On the back, Roth laces Exile‘s soulful beat from Mobb Deep‘s Pearly Gates with candid reflections on the course of his career to date. Like what you’re hearing? Then be sure to cop Asher’s Drama/Don Cannon-hosted The Greenhouse Effect Vol. 2 street album when it drops tomorrow, June 25.
Written by richard on 06/24/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Gonna Come ft. Charles Hamilton & Asher Roth" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.