As Asher Roth has grown from his college-loving origins and come into his own as a lyricist, he’s become less palatable to the Top 40 crowd, but a little mainstream cachet is a small price to pay to get into hip-hop heaven. On Pop Radio x Pearly Gates, a two-for-one freestyle off his next mixtape, the Keystone State rhymesayer once again reminds us that his mic skills are not to be underestimated, delivering pop-referential lyrical flames over a pair of dope instrumentals. YMNO provides original production to accompany the free-associative front half, pairing a lightly funky guitar loop with a mid-tempo breakbeat. On the back, Roth laces Exile‘s soulful beat from Mobb Deep‘s Pearly Gates with candid reflections on the course of his career to date. Like what you’re hearing? Then be sure to cop Asher’s Drama/Don Cannon-hosted The Greenhouse Effect Vol. 2 street album when it drops tomorrow, June 25.
Written by richard on 06/24/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Gonna Come ft. Charles Hamilton & Asher Roth" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)