As Asher Roth has grown from his college-loving origins and come into his own as a lyricist, he’s become less palatable to the Top 40 crowd, but a little mainstream cachet is a small price to pay to get into hip-hop heaven. On Pop Radio x Pearly Gates, a two-for-one freestyle off his next mixtape, the Keystone State rhymesayer once again reminds us that his mic skills are not to be underestimated, delivering pop-referential lyrical flames over a pair of dope instrumentals. YMNO provides original production to accompany the free-associative front half, pairing a lightly funky guitar loop with a mid-tempo breakbeat. On the back, Roth laces Exile‘s soulful beat from Mobb Deep‘s Pearly Gates with candid reflections on the course of his career to date. Like what you’re hearing? Then be sure to cop Asher’s Drama/Don Cannon-hosted The Greenhouse Effect Vol. 2 street album when it drops tomorrow, June 25.
Written by richard on 06/24/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Gonna Come ft. Charles Hamilton & Asher Roth" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.