Once derided as a lightweight (though hailed by some as a breath of fresh air), Asher Roth has spent his post-Bread Aisle career making the necessary preparations for his reemergence as a serious spitter. While lead single G.R.I.N.D. was an early victory, follow-up Last Man Standing poses a tougher question: can a suburban dude from Morrisville, Pennsylvania craft a convincing hustle anthem? Never say never. Here, frequent production collaborator Oren Yoel channels a little recent-Kanye, superimposing fuzzed-out guitar and muffled chants over plodding piano chords and rolling breaks as Roth flexes his lyrical messages, exhibiting a newfound aggression along with his usual pop-referential punchlines: ”Forever underrated, so now I’m Nicolas Cagin’ it / Doin’...bout anything as long as you put my face in it.” Topped off with the hook vocals of Konvict general Akon, this cut leaves no doubt that the new-and-improved Asher is a force to be reckoned with – or have I got it twisted? Those who agree should keep it locked for further details on the artist’s yet-unscheduled, yet-untitled sophomore set.
Written by richard on 05/26/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Gonna Come ft. Charles Hamilton & Asher Roth" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.