Once derided as a lightweight (though hailed by some as a breath of fresh air), Asher Roth has spent his post-Bread Aisle career making the necessary preparations for his reemergence as a serious spitter. While lead single G.R.I.N.D. was an early victory, follow-up Last Man Standing poses a tougher question: can a suburban dude from Morrisville, Pennsylvania craft a convincing hustle anthem? Never say never. Here, frequent production collaborator Oren Yoel channels a little recent-Kanye, superimposing fuzzed-out guitar and muffled chants over plodding piano chords and rolling breaks as Roth flexes his lyrical messages, exhibiting a newfound aggression along with his usual pop-referential punchlines: ”Forever underrated, so now I’m Nicolas Cagin’ it / Doin’...bout anything as long as you put my face in it.” Topped off with the hook vocals of Konvict general Akon, this cut leaves no doubt that the new-and-improved Asher is a force to be reckoned with – or have I got it twisted? Those who agree should keep it locked for further details on the artist’s yet-unscheduled, yet-untitled sophomore set.
Written by richard on 05/26/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Gonna Come ft. Charles Hamilton & Asher Roth" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.