Once derided as a lightweight (though hailed by some as a breath of fresh air), Asher Roth has spent his post-Bread Aisle career making the necessary preparations for his reemergence as a serious spitter. While lead single G.R.I.N.D. was an early victory, follow-up Last Man Standing poses a tougher question: can a suburban dude from Morrisville, Pennsylvania craft a convincing hustle anthem? Never say never. Here, frequent production collaborator Oren Yoel channels a little recent-Kanye, superimposing fuzzed-out guitar and muffled chants over plodding piano chords and rolling breaks as Roth flexes his lyrical messages, exhibiting a newfound aggression along with his usual pop-referential punchlines: ”Forever underrated, so now I’m Nicolas Cagin’ it / Doin’...bout anything as long as you put my face in it.” Topped off with the hook vocals of Konvict general Akon, this cut leaves no doubt that the new-and-improved Asher is a force to be reckoned with – or have I got it twisted? Those who agree should keep it locked for further details on the artist’s yet-unscheduled, yet-untitled sophomore set.
Written by richard on 05/26/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Gonna Come ft. Charles Hamilton & Asher Roth" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.