Once derided as a lightweight (though hailed by some as a breath of fresh air), Asher Roth has spent his post-Bread Aisle career making the necessary preparations for his reemergence as a serious spitter. While lead single G.R.I.N.D. was an early victory, follow-up Last Man Standing poses a tougher question: can a suburban dude from Morrisville, Pennsylvania craft a convincing hustle anthem? Never say never. Here, frequent production collaborator Oren Yoel channels a little recent-Kanye, superimposing fuzzed-out guitar and muffled chants over plodding piano chords and rolling breaks as Roth flexes his lyrical messages, exhibiting a newfound aggression along with his usual pop-referential punchlines: ”Forever underrated, so now I’m Nicolas Cagin’ it / Doin’...bout anything as long as you put my face in it.” Topped off with the hook vocals of Konvict general Akon, this cut leaves no doubt that the new-and-improved Asher is a force to be reckoned with – or have I got it twisted? Those who agree should keep it locked for further details on the artist’s yet-unscheduled, yet-untitled sophomore set.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Gonna Come ft. Charles Hamilton & Asher Roth" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.