Once derided as a lightweight (though hailed by some as a breath of fresh air), Asher Roth has spent his post-Bread Aisle career making the necessary preparations for his reemergence as a serious spitter. While lead single G.R.I.N.D. was an early victory, follow-up Last Man Standing poses a tougher question: can a suburban dude from Morrisville, Pennsylvania craft a convincing hustle anthem? Never say never. Here, frequent production collaborator Oren Yoel channels a little recent-Kanye, superimposing fuzzed-out guitar and muffled chants over plodding piano chords and rolling breaks as Roth flexes his lyrical messages, exhibiting a newfound aggression along with his usual pop-referential punchlines: ”Forever underrated, so now I’m Nicolas Cagin’ it / Doin’...bout anything as long as you put my face in it.” Topped off with the hook vocals of Konvict general Akon, this cut leaves no doubt that the new-and-improved Asher is a force to be reckoned with – or have I got it twisted? Those who agree should keep it locked for further details on the artist’s yet-unscheduled, yet-untitled sophomore set.
Written by richard on 05/26/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Gonna Come ft. Charles Hamilton & Asher Roth" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.